IN THEIR GYPSY WAGON BOOKMOBILE

We have been making fine press and artist's books for over 30 years. When we started, as craftspeople at Renaissance Faires, we fell in love with the "gypsy wagons" that other vendors had built to sleep in or to sell their wares from. We built this wagon in 2009, designed after a typical 1900s Redding style English Gypsy Wagon. We are now traveling around the country to sell our books, teach book arts workshops, talk about books as artworks and to seek out beauty in the USA.

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Wandering through Utah



Today we went to Ogden and spoke to Susan Makov’s printmaking and book arts classes. When I was describing the qualities “great” artists’ book would have (what I call in my lectures the “Mona Lisa of the Book”) I found myself comparing a book without words to a print made using medium without pigment. The printmaker could be making some kind of great statement, but in my opinion, mostly they would just be wasting a lot of great potential. So it is with words in a book, they add color. Too bad I didn’t find it spelled out in lead type when I pied a case or something. I could have started a religion….


PS. Last night we went to Salt Lake City’s bohemian roadhouse, The Garage, where we ate dinner and listened to a local band called Wayward Molly.





No comments: