TRAVELING IN A TINY HOME THAT IS REALLY AN ARTISTS' BOOK ON WHEELS

Peter and Donna Thomas have been making fine press and artist's books for over 40 years. When they started, as craftspeople at Renaissance Faires, they fell in love with the graceful beauty of "gypsy wagon" caravans that other vendors had made to sleep in or use as booths for selling their wares. In 2009 Peter and Donna built their own tiny home on wheels, designed after a typical late 19th century Redding Wagon. This blog documents their trips around the country, taken to sell their artists' books, teach book arts workshops, and talk about making books as art; as well as to seek out and experience the beauty of the many different landscapes found across the USA.

Peter and Donna started their business in 1977 and made their first book in 1978, so from 2017-18 are traveling to celebrate 40 years of making books with shows in a dozen libraries across the country. See the schedule on the side bar to find if they are coming to a town near you....

Follow the Wandering Book Artists on Facebook and Instagram!
*

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Let the Wandering Begin (again): Utah then Knoxville


Utah:

Brigham Young University in Provo Utah is one of the venues for our 40-year retrospective shows. In mid-March Peter flew out to see the show.


"I gave a workshop and keynote speech for the concurrent 2018 A. Dean Larsen Book Collecting Conference. My hosts were Maggie Kopp, the rare book librarian, and Christopher McAfee the library’s book and paper conservator. Chris and I had first met in the mid 1990s at the University of Alabama (UA), when Chris was a grad student in the Book Arts Program and I was visiting to give a lecture.

Class at BYU

Peter writes: "At that time, in the early 1990s, as the personal computer began to creep into common use, people were constantly asking Donna and I, “Aren’t you worried about the computer replacing the book and putting you out of work?” That constant questioning led to an interesting line of thinking that I found myself exploring ever since. In response I developed a sort of “manifesto” regarding the future of the book, and started sharing my thoughts as I taught bookbinding workshops and gave talks for both community and university book arts programs around the country.


It was on that same day I first met Chris McAfee, as I sat in on a history of the book class being taught at UA, that I came up with the idea of making scrolling books. The teacher was talking about comparing the computer to the book, saying that calling a scrolling computer screen a “page” was like calling an automobile a “horseless carriage” or a radio a “wireless.” We were defining a thing by what came before by until new word, a new language, could be found. This got me thinking about what a book was and was not. UA’s book arts program shared its building with the engineering department, and as I wandered the hallways I wondered how I could get all these engineering majors interested in artists’ books; and I came up with an idea that provided seminal direction for me to explore as a book artists. The book was definitely not what came before it, the scroll. Business majors could relate to scrolling pages. If I made a scrolling book, I would be creating a new word, a new language, as I explored the possibilities created by combining the old and the new ways of combining information and structure. Our latest two books are examples of where that exploration has led. You can find full descriptions of the books and more pictures on our web site.

Piute Creek

Mento Mori

Knoxville:

Today we left California to begin the Spring 2018 leg of our 40 year celebration trip. We flew from San Francisco to Philadelphia to Knoxville (where we left our truck and trailer in October).

 San Francisco Airport

Philadelphia Airport on route to Knoxville

We spent a day tearing down the shelter and getting the trailer road worthy. Then we removed the fence, pulled the truck and trailer out to the road, replaced the fence, and we are ready to wander!




Our first stop will be Kennesaw State University in Georgia. If you are on our route let us know and we will try to meet up.

No comments: